Blackburn B-2 History
Blackburn Aircraft built 42 b-2 trainers in the early 1930's, the aircraft was very similar in appearance to the de Havilland Tiger Moth and was even powered by de Havilland's Gipsy engine. The most obvious operational difference between the two aircraft is the cockpit, in the Blackburn b-2 both trainer and trainee pilots were seated side by side rather than in tandem, with one in front of the other. The main difference in construction was that the Blackburn b-2 used a semi-monocoque all-metal fuselage rather than the fabric covered wood used in the Moth.
In later years the side by side seating arrangement used by the Blackburn b-2 became favoured, but at the time of the Blackburn b-2's introduction there was a preference for the traditional tandem layout found that could be found in all existing RAF military biplane training aircraft.
Blackburn B-2 Biplane use in WW2
At the outbreak of WW2 both RAF and privately owned Blackburn b-2 biplane trainers were transferred to the RAF's No 4 Elementary Flying Training School who operated the Blackburn b-2 until 1942, at which time the surviving Blackburn b-2 aircraft were designated as instructional airframes for use by the Air Training Corps.
Blackburn B-2 Biplane Specifications:
Crew: Instructor and trainee
Length: 24 ft 3 in (7.39 m)
Wingspan: 30 ft 2 in (9.20 m)
Height: 9 ft 0 in (2.74 m)
Wing area: 246 ft² (22.9 m²)
Empty weight: 1,175 lb (534 kg)
Loaded weight: 1,850 lb (841 kg)
Engine: Single 120 hp (90 kW) de Havilland Gipsy III 4 cylinder in-line engine
Maximum speed: 97 kn (112 mph, 180 km/h)
Cruise speed: 83 kn (95 mph, 153 km/h)
Range: 278 nmi (320 mi, 515 km).