Avro Tutor History
The Avro Tutor was a pilot training aircraft designed, by A.V. Roe's chief designer Roy Chadwick,
as a replacement for the RAF's aging Avro 504k
biplane primary trainer. Like
the older Avro 504, it was of biplane design and was covered
with doped linen. The airframe, however, was made from tubular steel
rather than the wooden frame used on it's predecessor.
Avro Tutor First Flight
The Avro Tutor's first flight was
made in September 1929, with Captain Harry Albert Brown at the
Roe's chief test pilot. It entered RAF service in 1933 and
total production run of 606 aircraft. At the outbreak of WW2, it was replaced by cheaper and more basic aircraft, such as
the Tiger Moth, that
were more practical to build in great numbers.
Avro Tutor Users
Like it's predecessor,
this aircraft had good handling characteristics and was chosen as a primary
trainer by numerous foreign air forces prior to WW2. These included the Greek Air
Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, Irish Air Force, Polish Air Force,
South African Air Force and of course Great Britain's Royal Air
Force, who operated 417 of them.
Avro Tutor Floatplanes
Fifteen were produced as
two-seater floatplanes, and designated the Avro 646 Sea Tutor. Five of these remained in RAF service at the outbreak of WW2.
models, model kits and plans of this aircraft have been available
in the market place.
Avro Tutor Specifications:
Avro Tutor Crew: Pilot and trainee in tandem
Avro Tutor Engine: Single 215/240-h.p. Armstrong Siddeley "Lynx IVC" engine
Avro Tutor Gross weight: 2,548 lb (1,115 kg)
Avro Tutor Wing span: 34 ft 0 in (10.37 m)
Avro Tutor Length: 26ft 4.5 in (8.04 m)
Avro Tutor Service ceiling: 16207 ft (4940 m)
Avro Tutor Max speed: 122 mph (196 km/h)