Albatros D.V History
Designed and made by Albatros-Flugzeugwerke during WWI for the Luftstreitkräfte (German airforce), the Albatros D.V was at best an average biplane fighter, resulting with a total production run of approximately only 2,500 aircraft. Based in part on the existing older Albatros D.III biplane fighter design and engine, the Albatros D.V served from April 1914 until the end of WWI, a matter of necessity rather than choice, and was destined to be the last "D" series fighter designed or produced by Albatros-Flugzeugwerke.
The Albatros D.V and the Red Baron
When initially flown in WW1 by Manfred von Richthofen, the Infamous "Red Baron", he heavily criticised the new biplane design, Albatros quickly responded by modifying their existing biplane design to create the Albatros D.Va, better but still not good enough. As soon as the Fokker D.VII entered service it was found to be far superior, Albatros were then instructed to build the rival companies biplane fighter aircraft rather than build or develop their own biplane fighter designs for the remainder of WW1!
Albatros D.Vk Biplane Specifications:
Crew: Pilot only
Length: 7.33 m (24 ft 1 in)
Wingspan: 9.04 m (29 ft 8 in)
Height: 2.70 m (8 ft 10 in)
Empty weight: 687 kg (1,515 lb)
Loaded weight: 937 kg (2,066 lb)
Engine: Single 134 kW (180 hp) Mercedes D.III 6-cylinder water-cooled inline piston engine
Maximum speed: 187 (116 mph)
Service ceiling: 3,000 m (9,840 ft)
Range: 200 miles
Albatros D.Vk Biplane Armament: Twin 7.92 mm (.312 in) LMG 08/15 machineguns